Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Belated Entry

This entry is a tad bit late. Well...actually it is about nine months late. Anyway, the box you see is the last thing I finished before moving to South Korea. This one was for my mom for Christmas. The filigree was a pain in the rear end to cut out. Stuff like this is nerve racking. One little slip and its all for naught and you have to start all over. Luckily, I didn't mess it up. Anyway, the hardest part turned out to be getting the bottom board to stay flat. I cut it, sanded it, and then stained it. Once complete, I let it dry in the shop for a day or so. When I came back, it had bowed on me and I had to weight it down in order to make it flat again. It was also a learning point when trying to glue it up. I found it is very difficult to glue things once they are already stained, especially with a glossy/semi-gloss stain. The photos show it before I finished staining it. When I was done, the whole thing was stained. Looking back at it, I sort of like it the way it is in the pics. Still, I think it turned out nicely. If I ever do another of the same box, I think I will change the color of the stain or leave it natural. It will be a while before I get back to the US and get my wood working shop back together so this may be the last entry for a while. I may find some other craft to do in the mean time...we will see. "Thanks for Stopping By!"

No comments:

Woodcraft Search