Monday, August 18, 2008

Helpfull Tip from a Friend

I am remiss for not putting this up as my first post so I will do it now. I got my interest in woodworking from my dad and from Vocational Agriculture (VoAg) in high school. I got my interest in scroll work from a good friend in El Paso, Texas. Charlie is a good man and does a LOT of scroll work. When I say a LOT...I mean a LOT! Some of the crosses he has made are amazing. To my knowledge, he doesn't create any of his own patters but he has taken artistic licence with some and they are pretty neat. Anyway, he gave me a tip on applying patterns to wood...well...actually tips on both applying and removing. The removing part became an issue for me when I cut out a test pattern the other day. After using the spray adhesive to attach the pattern, I couldn't get it all off once I was through cutting it out. Charlie recommended paint or laquer thinner. The technique is to dampen a rag in it and rub it on the leftover pattern. It peels right off! I also saw a tecnique using wide strips of masking tape, spraying adheasive, then simply peeling the tape and pattern off once complete. Charlie's method is used best when cutting large patterns, the masking tape method is good for smaller ones. On my current project I am using tape. I will post pics and let you know how it turns out. "Thanks for stopping by." MJC

No comments:

Woodcraft Search