Thursday, March 3, 2011

More Wooden Lures

Hi,
It has been quite a while since I posted so here is a new one. A while back I posted a couple of photos of fishing lures that I had made. I am pleased to report that the C&E Gold attracted a couple of fish but unfortunately no takers. They just chased it. The C&E Doplhins haven't been field tested yet so I have no data on them. The little gems in the photo however, have been field tested and have again attracted fish. I could watch them chase them. These two lures are for one purpose and one purpose only..to catch Gar! I call them my "C&E Snagglers." They are really quite simple and have no hooks whatsoever because a gar has tons of teeth that the fibers can wrap around and he can't get away. I found the idea online somewhere and, being that this is woodworking blog, I thought I would try my hand at making something similar to what I saw online. The concept is simple, make a wooden jig head, drill and thread it with wire so you can attach it to a line, cut a length of nylon trot-line cord, double it over, fray it out until it is all fuzzy, then using the wire, wire it to the jig head. Cast, reel, repeat. The heads are made of balsa wood which floats so it makes a nice top-water jig. The tails on these two were fascinating because when you reel it then top, reel it, then stop, the tails sort of "swim" like a frog in a smooth motion. Again, I did have garfish chase it, but being a lousy angler, my presentation of the lure must have been bad because he would chase it but not bite. Maybe one day I can post a photo of the one that "didn't get away" LOL. Thanks for Stopping By!

No comments:

Woodcraft Search